Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Great Illustrated Classics


When I was growing up, I absolutely loved to read.  I'd bury my nose in a book and the characters would come to life.  

As an elementary student and as a pre-teen, I discovered the Great Illustrated Classics books at my school library.  I remember thoroughly enjoying the ones I read.  

We recently re-discovered these books for our son.  He likes to read and it was a way to introduce the classics in a manner someone his age would enjoy.  The books have been adapted with kids in mind and are geared for grades 3 through 8.  They have black and white illustrations throughout that help bring the books to life.

It's been fun to revisit some of the books I read as a young reader.  

So far, dear son has enjoyed the following:  

Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott

Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne

The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe by Daniel DeFoe

The Call of the Wild by Jack London

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

Aesop's Fables

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

Here is the website if you are interested in seeing what classics are available.
http://www.greatillustratedclassics.com/

I wonder if you remember reading these books growing up?  Which ones were your favorites?

Happy reading!

Heather

P.S.  I'm not affiliated with the books in anyway, just giving my opinion on them.

3 comments:

  1. hi heather...a wonderful introduction to the great classics for your dear son...i do not recall the stories in this form available at my school's library...probably i was not aware of them...we did have summer reading clubs which were fun and expanded my world in thought, comprehension and imagination...the reward of reading is a lifetime of enjoyment...take care...sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful way to foster a love of reading and introduce the classics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love to read, but I haven't read those classics in a long time. But we did read some with our children, especially Aesop's Fables and my daughter likes Call of the Wild. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments, I appreciate hearing from you.