Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Around the Garden


"The air was fragrant with a thousand trodden aromatic herbs, with fields of lavender, and with the brightest roses blushing in tufts all over the meadows..."

William C. Bryant


Well, I don't have "fields" of lavender, but the lavender I planted last year, appears to be happy where I planted it.  

Which, of course, makes me happy.


I like the predictability of perennials.  
You plant them once and they return each year in their due time.


I have tomatoes and zucchini getting close to harvest.  

The zucchini we started from seed and is a bush type.  It doesn't take up as much space in a raised bed.  

I'll check them later today, but hopes are for steamed zucchini with our chicken for dinner.


One of my favorite nurseries is an outlet and is only open in the spring and fall.  

If you go the weekend before they close for the spring, you can get great buys.  

I bought four small apple trees for $5 each.  They've been in the ground a few weeks and have been doing well (other than a small invasion of Japanese beetles defoliating their leaves).

I'm following the instruction in Grow a Little Fruit Tree by Ann Ralph.  

The main idea is that you prune the leader as soon as you bring the tree home.  Then, you prune them twice a year in winter and early summer around the solstice.

This aggressive pruning keeps the trees small and manageable.  


One of the other things we added this year is a blueberry bed.  

There are actually seven blueberry bushes.  Four of them were just bare roots, so are quite small.  The three larger ones were from the nursery I mentioned earlier.

There is more work to do and I'm blessed I have a strong husband to help with the heavy work.

In my minds eye, I see a rhubarb bed, maybe this fall, or next spring.

Have a great day!
Heather

9 comments:

  1. Oh, a rhubarb bed would be wonderful! We have five plants of rhubarb and they do quite well...so well that I can't never use it all up :) I wish I could share some with you.

    Your garden is delightful, my friend. Enjoy! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephanie. Pass the rhubarb please! :-)

      Delete
  2. You really are making great progress. I love to have the rhubarb, great for those Autumn crumbles, it also makes a very tasty jam with ginger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking it sounds like a good fall project. Thank you for your nice comment.

      Delete
  3. Isn't it fun to scratch around in the dirt, plant a few things and get tasty treats in return. Gardening is the best! Good to see you here again!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kar, I do enjoy gardening. Hubby and I have said next year we'd like to have more veggies, so we'll either have to do a traditional garden or add more beds. Take care, Heather

      Delete
  4. Your garden looks wonderful my friend, hope you are well.
    Meredtih

    ReplyDelete
  5. You truly are a gardener. It looks so pretty. I hope you get a full harvest soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments, I appreciate hearing from you.