Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Ruffles and Ridges


While away on vacation I made some dishcloths.  What you say?  Crochet?!  I know, I know.  I haven't talked crochet in a while.  But, I hope you'll like what I'm sharing today.  

:-)

This is my version of a half double crochet ridge dishcloth.  It's super easy and works up in a snap.  I'm calling it Ruffles and Ridges (the blue and green in the photo above).  Ruffles for the edging and of course the ridge for the raised ridge this technique creates.  The one pictured in yellow was completed with a reverse single crochet round.

The only thing a beginner might find difficult is working in the 3rd loop of the half double crochet.  I found some good tutorials for those who might not be familiar with working in the 3rd loop.  Moogly has a video tutorial using the stitch worked in the round and discusses the technique in her blog post entitled Half Double Crochet in the Third Loop.  Also referenced in her post is a link to another good article on the stitch from My Hobby Is Crochet.  I wasn't familiar with this blog, but thought the post was very informative.  I'll let you browse through the articles and see the different ways you can use this versatile stitch.

Below is my version of a half double crochet ridge dishcloth.

Enjoy!


Example, pictured below, showing a hdc in the 3rd loop:

The "3rd loop" is on the side of your piece when working flat.  Not to be confused with the loops on top that are often referred to as either the front loop or back loop.




Ruffles and Ridges Dishcloth

"H" Hook (5.00 mm)
100% Cotton worsted weight (approx. 2 oz)
Blunt needle for weaving in ends

Note:  Turning chain (tch) is included in stitch count.


ch 30

Row 1 - hdc in 3rd ch from hook and each ch across (28 hdc + ch 2 for beg hdc = 29 sts)
Row 2 - ch 2, turn, sk 1st hdc, working in 3rd loop of hdc, hdc in next 3rd loop of hdc and each 3rd loop across ending with a hdc in tch (29 sts).

Repeat Row 2 until dishcloth is square.  Fasten off.


Border

Round 1 - ch 1, sc an even number of sts around dishcloth with 3 sc in each corner, sl st to beg sc.  
Round 2 - ch 1, sc in same st as sl st, *ch 2, sk 1 sc, sc in next st, repeat from * around cloth to last sc, ch 2, sk last sc, sc in same st as beg sc.  Fasten off.  

Weave in loose ends.

beg - beginning
ch - chain
hdc - half double crochet
sc - single crochet
sk - skip
sl st - slip stitch
st(s) - stitches
tch - turning chain

Make it a great day!

Heather


16 comments:

  1. Very nice Heather! Love the colors you chose as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty Heather, thank you for posting it.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty, Heather :-) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look very nice Heather. Thanks for sharing your pattern with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi heather...what great cloths - they are always needed...thank you for sharing your pattern and the information for stitch explanations....take care...sally

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this both pretty and practical pattern and the links to related articles, Heather! Another project for my want to make list :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the colors you used Heather. Bright colors to cheer up those sink duties. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Heather!! So nice to be back and seeing some familiar people and things. Love the dishcloths! So cute. (You can still call him Captain if you want!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You made such pretty dishcloths! Thanks for sharing the pattern to make them too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely...thanks so much for sharing. I recently crocheted my first washcloth/dishcloths using the 100% cotton and they're great even with my shower gel. The cotton feels great, and also tried making some soap to go along with them. Yours look great.. :)

    Peabea, stopping by from Roses of Inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such pretty dishcloths.
    Fondly Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty - I love the colors and stitches. Thank you for sharing! xo K

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look terrific, love the colors too and the pretty border!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are darling, my friend! I LOVE the ruffled edge :) Thanks for the inspiration and for sharing with Roses of Inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was looking for a new dishcloth pattern, and this looks perfect. Thanks for sharing it, I can't wait to try.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments, I appreciate hearing from you.