Thursday, July 23, 2015

King's Gardens at Ft. Ticonderoga


Historical places intrigue me.  

On one of our day trips, while we were traveling, we visited Ft. Ticonderoga.  And, just below the fort, is King's Gardens.  The gardens are part of what was once a summer house owned by the Pell Family.  The Pell Family was responsible for restoring the fort in the early 1900's.  

The gardens are well cared for and lovely.


Cupid shooting his arrows reminded me of a youthful David slewing his giants.


The gardens were designed by Marian Cruger Coffin.  She was one of the first female landscape architects and designed gardens for many of America's wealthiest families of her time.  

The garden sits behind what was once a summer house (and later a hotel).  


The house itself has fallen into disrepair.  But, there were reminders of what an enchanting place this once was.


I did ask and it sounds like there are plans to restore the house.  I'd love to go back when that work is complete.  Hopefully they will decorate it with period furniture and artwork.

In the meantime, the gardens are decorated with colorful flowers to enjoy. 




Walking through the gates was like taking a step back in time.


And, thoroughly enjoyable!

I hope you enjoyed visiting King's Garden's.


I'll share more about the fort itself in another post.


Make it a great day!

Heather


7 comments:

  1. That's how we felt when we toured the Biltmore in Ashville SC. Beautiful history being preserved there. I too hope that they restore this place with period furnishings. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been to the Biltmore several time and enjoyed it very much. I usually went in the fall so didn't get to see their gardens in bloom, which I understand are beautiful. Thanks for stopping by. Heather

      Delete
  2. My sweet friend, thank you for taking us along on such a beautiful journey :) And thank you for the delightful visit to my blog this morning - it was a joy to hear from you! I hope you are well, dear Heather.

    Much love and big hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh, just the sort of beautiful gardens I hope to create, but have not quite yet :) Thanks for sharing the photos, Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, such a beautiful place! Thank you for taking us on a tour, Heather :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. just beautiful !!!!! Thank you for sharing
    found you on Home-making Mondays
    leticia from kingmakerblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a lovely place. I would love a summer house like that. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments, I appreciate hearing from you.