Sunday, May 10, 2015

Happy Mother's Day


I told hubby that for Mother's Day, I'd like to go to the nursery and pick out some flowers to plant around the house.  He kindly obliged and yesterday afternoon, we walked around my favorite nursery and I selected some plants I thought would be pretty in the yard.


I knew where I'd put the rhododendron, but when I bought the impatiens, I wasn't sure, so only purchased a few.  Most of our yard is full sun, and impatiens love shade and/or dappled light.  They'll fill in as the summer progresses.  


The most time consuming was cleaning out the old honeysuckle roots.  Hubby did it by hand with pure brute force and a hand ax.  Then we built the wall with bedrock (and some granite) that we've been digging out of our yard.  


Slowly, but surely, the yard is shaping up.  There are more areas similar to this that we'll clean up in time.

I have flowers waiting in the garage for planting, but that will need to wait for another day.

I hope you've enjoyed a wonderfully blessed Mother's Day!

Hugs,
Heather


20 comments:

  1. What a lovely way to spend such a special day. Mothers day here in the UK is March.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love what you have done so far! Keep having fun with it all. : ) Hope you had a wonderful day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kar, I hope you enjoyed a great Mother's Day.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a perfect Mothers Day Heather!!!!!!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi sweet Heather! Oh, I love picking out flowers for Mother's Day....how delightful that you were able to visit the nursery :) Have a wonderful week! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Mother's Day sounds wonderful Heather. Have a great week.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's amazing what a few flowers (a splash of color here and there) can do for a yard! Looks wonderful Heather! Hope you enjoyed your day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How delightful Heather :0) I received a beautiful Azalea bush that needs to be planted also ;D mari

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amei conhecer o seu blog, já fiquei por aqui!!!Achei maravilhoso!!!
    Visite-me:http://algodaotaodoce.blogspot.com.br/
    Siga-me e pegue o meu selinho!!!

    Obrigada.

    Beijos Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Indeed, (flowering) plants are the best presents! :)
    Your yard looks beautiful and soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so pretty! Glad you had a nice Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love the statue. Very pretty garden.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Heather. If you can find them, New Guinea Impatiens *do* like some sun! Up to a half day of sun, as long as they are well-watered. Leaves are sturdier, flowers are bigger!! Gorgeous plants! You can read about them here:
    http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/impatiens/new-guinea-impatiens.htm
    Happy gardening!
    Kat (Idaho, USA)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pretty images, I love the flowers and the statue.. I picked out flowers for my deck plants on Mother's Day.. And hubby planted them, Yea!

    Have a happy weekend! Thanks for visiting my blog and for the comment..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Heather, your little area is just lovely! So peaceful! :) Thank you for sharing with us on the Art of Home-Making Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks so pretty. Your yard is looking so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your new garden is just lovely, Heather - I love the little statue, and the flowers are so pretty. I really love the setting, too, with the beautiful fence and tree. Hope your week is sweet. xo Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments, I appreciate hearing from you.