Sunday, April 12, 2015

Eastern Red Cedar


Did you know the Eastern Red Cedar is Dioecious?  

There are male plants, or trees; and female plants, or trees.  

I didn't know this.

We have several of these trees in our back yard.  Most people don't pay too much attention to them.  In our part of the country they are wide-spread; a dime a dozen.  

I find them interesting though and have been trying to learn more about them.


I'm still trying to decipher if the rust colored "flower" that appears in the spring, later becomes the blue "berry"?  

Or, if the two different features determine if the tree is male or female.


It's a mystery to me and I'm bound and determined to find the answer.

One thing I did learn for certain is that the Eastern Red Cedar isn't a cedar at all.  

It is in fact, a juniper.

:-)


 As I get older, I find myself being fascinated by things I never would have thought twice about before.

Tuesday is my birthday.
So I am...pondering.

:-)

May your day be blessed.

Heather

And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth:  and it was so.
...and God saw that it was good.
Genesis 1:11-12


9 comments:

  1. That is interesting and not something I would have thought of researching. Cool information though.

    And your birthday is the same day as my son's, he'll be 18 on Tuesday. So here is an early HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. curiosity, research and learning are so much fun...a very happy pre-birthday, heather...and when it is official...HAPPY BIRTHDAY111 may your all your days be blessed. sally

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tha is very interesting. I also love trees and all kinds of plants. It's fascinating to learn more about them. I hope you have a blessed day on your birthday and that you get everything your heart desires. Happy early birthday dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was quite interesting, my friend :) And you're having a birthday! How delightful! May you have the happiest of birthdays, my dear. Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Heather, What a wonderful post and so interesting about the red cedar. I think we had this tree when we lived in Ohio but I do not know a lot about it. It did stay green year round and I remember the blue berry but not the red.
    Wishing you a blessed and beautiful birthday. I hope you enjoy your special day to the fullest.
    Sending Big Hugs your way.
    CM

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all happy birthday to you today :0) and yes, they are quite beautiful and interesting trees.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy, Happy Birthday. Hope you had a wonderful day.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pictures Heather! I know that my interest in different things has really developed since becoming a homeschooling mother. It is like the learning bug had bitten me all over again and I am enjoying the new streak of curiosity. Thank you for sharing with us on the Art of Home-Making Mondays :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting and such wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments, I appreciate hearing from you.