Thursday, April 16, 2015

Creeping Phlox and a Robin's Nest


I'm happy to report that my creeping phlox has weathered the winter.  It's showing off it's petite lilac colored flowers and bringing a smile to my face.


You never realize how much work a yard is until you start from scratch.  Our lot was vacant farm land before a developer bought it.  Now, I'm trying to domesticate it.  

:-)


It looks like our mother robin has decided to come back again this year.  Last year she built her nest on one of our window sills.  This year she constructed her "home" in one of the "cedar" trees.


It was up a little high for me to peak in, but I held up the camera and hoped for a few good shots.


Her nest is nice and deep and a first glance it looked like she had three eggs.  

But wait!


From a different angle, it looks like she has four perfectly blue eggs.


We'll see what happens.  Last year we think a hawk got the little hatchlings.  Hopefully she's hidden her nest well enough to bring on the next generation of robins.

"The robin flew from his swinging spray of ivy on to the top of the wall and he opened his beak and sang a loud, lovely trill, merely to show off.  Nothing in the world is quite as adorably lovely as a robin when he shows off - and they are nearly always doing it."
Frances Hodgson Burnett, The Secret Garden

Heather



13 comments:

  1. gorgeous photos Heather ~ I've been watching Robin build her nest too ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love creeping phlox, but I've not had much luck with it here. My mother-in-law was the lady who could get it going good. Yours is lovely, Heather. As it "creeps" a bit each year that area is going to be filled with beautiful lilac colors! And your pictures of the robin's nest are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My creeping phlox keeps coming back every year also. I have to give it a hair cut from time to time to keep it out of areas it shouldn't be in. : ) Very hardy. The robin's eggs are so pretty! How wonderful to have them return again for your enjoyment. : ) Wishing you a fabulous weekend!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Won't it be so much fun to see those little eggs hatch.
    They are such a gorgeous shade of blue.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  5. cant wait to see my phlox. we have blue birds checking out the bird house I hope they stay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful color of blue those robin eggs are! Especially against the grayish-brown of the tree and nest. I love those pictures. I'd say you captured exactly what you were after in a wonderful way! The phlox is so pretty. Amazing how hardy some of these flowers and plants are! I never imagine that some of them will come back, but they usually do. Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the flowers, so pretty. Our robin hasn't come back yet which is a bummer. We had so much fun watching the eggs and baby birds through my daughters window. I hope the hawk doesn't get any of these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My late grandmother loved creeping flox. It is so delicate looking and comes back every year. Those are the most beautiful colored eggs I've ever seen! So bright and vivid. Thank you for sharing these pretties with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful looking eggs, hopefully all will go well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Her eggs are such an amazing colour! I hope her clutch does well. What a special capture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool shots!
    We have chickadees, titmice, and bluebirds nesting at our house just now. Hoping to see some of them fledge!!
    Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/04/french-corner-bakery.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fabulous nest. Good luck to them. I'll follow with baited breath.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love these pictures. We have some robins, too -- nesting in the gutters!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments, I appreciate hearing from you.