Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Yarning Along


The clouds are hanging low in the sky today and the overall color is gray.  It's not quite cold enough to snow, so we'll likely get some rain at some point.  I'd much rather see some of the fluffy white stuff falling from those clouds.  
_ _ _

I started another scarf.


It's my "At First Frost Scarf" that I wrote about earlier in the week.  
I'm going to block this one a bit more once it's complete.  I'll see if I can get the stitch pattern to really pop.  
I'm using the same brand of yarn, but in a different colorway.  It's a blue/lavender called Mineral Heather.  This scarf is for my sister.  I already told her about it, so it isn't a surprise.  
_ _ _

On the reading front, ...


I'm in 4th grade short stories with dear son.  
Most of the stories have two or three chapters, with some being more interesting that others.  

The curriculum has started to introduce stories on WWII.  Last week we read a story about a man who lived in Hungary during the war.  He and his family escaped toward the end of the war and eventually came to America.  It was interesting and opened up a good dialog between dear son and me.  

I'm also reading ODB on the Kindle.  I like to sit in my favorite chair in the family room with my first cup of coffee and read this each day.  


I hope whatever you are reading, or project you are working on brings some simple pleasures to your day.

Blessings,

Heather

I'm linking up with Ginny at Small Things for her weekly Yarn Along.  



22 comments:

  1. The scarf is going to be awesome! I love the pattern. So much texture to it. I have enjoyed ODB in the past. Right now I just try to keep up with my Daily Bible Reading. I am reading through it this year... almost done! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I hope so. My sister didn't want a bulky scarf, so I thought she would like the lighter weight yarn. Best wishes on reading through your bible in a year. I asked "santa" for a devotional that takes you through the bible in a year, hopefully he will remember. Take care, Heather

      Delete
  2. I really like the stitch pattern on that scarf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I appreciate your nice comment. Heather

      Delete
  3. I love that scarf pattern, Heather. And the color is very pretty. It sounds as if you and your son are having some good talks as a result of the curriculum. That was one of the things I enjoyed about homeschooling. Have a wonderful day, Heather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dianna. Reading is my favorite subject to do with my son. I like reading the different stories and getting his perspective on them. Hope you have a great day. Heather

      Delete
  4. Ahhh, what a cute Santa! The stitch of your new scarf is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's going to lovely Heather and your sister will love it, I used to love reading and teaching my kids from their readers when they were small but back then it was ladybird books, they can still remember some of the stories 20 years later. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, I hope she will. I think the last one I made her was too bulky for her taste. Hopefully she will like this one better. That is neat that your kids remember the stories (and the time) you spent with them. I hope mine will look back on it fondly once he is grown. Heather

      Delete
  6. Love the scarf, the pattern and colour are a real delight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the scarf pattern. With the color you are using it is very classy looking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The scarf pattern stitch really pops for me already, Heather! Beautiful work and interesting reading. I have read a bit of "No Place of my Own" by Christine Laennec, recently. The story is based on diaries her grandma wrote in the early 1900's and reflect life after the Civil War in the midwest and CA. The challenges of that period help me appreciate the many blessings I have known!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty color for your new scarf; I'm sure your sister will love it. I didn't know you could get ODB on Kindle. Reading stories aloud is so enjoyable. I love your little Santa. Take care and stay warm :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that pattern. And the colour fits it perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. ienjoy reading your blog and your work is beautiful,,how are you getting on with your new throw you started as that one is on my to do list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hibernating right now, but hopefully I'll get back to it soon. Thanks you for stopping by and leaving your nice comment. Heather

      Delete
  12. The scarf is a beautiful color. I am listening to The Girls of August on my way to and from work, it is really interesting.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  13. The scarf is looking so pretty. We don't have snow either, but might get some Friday night into Saturday. It would be great to have some snow with the Christmas season. I have ODB on my tablet too, and I enjoy reading it every day. I'm getting ready to start a new crochet project tomorrow, crocheted garland. I already have some around my house, I'm hoping to get some done for a friend of mine. I'll get pictures of it as soon as I start. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so talented! I love to see all your projects. I wish I could help my daughter with her crochet. She has one really good stitch, but would benefit from someone showing her. She doesn't know how to read a pattern. I am going to look into lessons or ask my cousin to help her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer. Have you thought about some YouTube video's? There are some really good video's out there on a variety of stitches. Also, Annie's Attic has stitch descriptions; here is a link https://www.anniescatalog.com/pages/stitchguide/index.html?cid=3. Best wishes and thank you again for your nice comment. Heather

      Delete
    2. Great ideas, Heather! Thank you!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving your comments, I appreciate hearing from you.