Wednesday, November 26, 2014

"B" Day; aka Baking Day


The day before Thanksgiving is traditionally set aside for baking and today has been no exception.

Hubby and I were up early having a cup of coffee and chatting before the day began.  Dear son gets up around 7:30 a.m., so it's always nice to get a little one-on-one time with the hubster before the day begins.

I made four pies today.  I made two pumpkin...


a pecan and a custard.


I tried a new recipe for the custard pie this year.  The one I usually make gets mixed reviews, so I thought I'd try another.  We'll see how it turned out tomorrow.

I also have dinner roll dough rising and once that doubles, I'll start making the rolls.  I'm making my great grandmother's "Wonderful Dinner Roll" recipe.  I usually use my bread machine to make dinner rolls, but it's been steadily losing settings.  The only setting that works on it now is the pizza dough setting.  A new machine is on the horizon; hopefully early next year.

Hubby brought me a pretty Thanksgiving bouquet.  I've been enjoying it on the buffet and will move it to the dining room tomorrow.


I like to use a folder to organize the recipes I'm using for the holiday.  It's the secretary coming out in me.  You don't spend more than 25 years doing something and not retain some of your former habits.

:-)

Last year, at this time, we were in the freezing apartment.  I'm so glad we are out of the apartment and settling into our new home.  I feel blessed with the gifts God has given me.  "...my cup runneth over."

With all that is going on in the world today, I leave you with a wish for a peaceful day tomorrow.  
A peace which passeth all understanding.

Thanksgiving blessings,

Heather

"And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

8 comments:

  1. Hi, Heather. I made a couple of pecan pies and some pecan bars for hubby to take to work with him tomorrow for his guys. Some other wives are sending food too. I'll be here crocheting and enjoying the company of my doggies until he gets home safely. Your pies all look so pretty! I know you are a good cook from everything we've seen here over the years. I'm sure your dinner will be wonderful. Enjoy your family! I loved seeing the picture of the snow and Blackie the other day. She's so big! I'm sure she'll get a bite or two of turkey. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pammy Sue, wishing you and "The Captain" a terrific Thanksgiving holiday. I'm sure he and and his co-worker's will enjoy the treats since they won't be able to be with their families until later in the day (or evening). Thanks again, Heather

      Delete
  2. They all look so yummy. We are baking and cooking today. Since we are going to my parents house for Thanksgiving, I went ahead and make our stuffing today. I made dinner rolls yesterday. Sarah mad apple crisp and cherry jello salad today. I have to run a few errands and then I'm making two pumpkin pies. I hate making my own pie crust, but it's necessary when eating GF. Once I get those done, I get to relax. :)

    I hope you have a blessed and happy Thanksgiving. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you JoAnn. Enjoy the day with your family, sounds like a lot of good things to enjoy. Happy Thanksgiving. Heather

      Delete
  3. Thanks, Heather. We are just getting ready to have pie. My daughter made pumpkin and my daughter's MIL made an apple. I made a gluten, dairy, egg, free pumpkin cranberry loaf and am going to heat up a slice of that. I hope you and yours are having a blessed Thanksgiving as well. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh your baking looks delicious! I have never tried these pies, I guess in Europe we are more into red fruits and apples... one day I will have to find a good old fashioned recipe and give it a try (or travel to USA in thanks giving time haha).
    Lovely candle too! bet it smells really lovely.
    Hope you had a great thanks giving, I think it's a holiday I wish we had on this side of the world, makes you appreciate what you have and your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Holidays ! to you and your family!....ummmm yummmy...I missed those yummy pies...looking yummy,flowers are so lovely,I love flowers too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you had great success with your pies. They look amazing! I usually clean last minute things,and try to do a little food prep the day before. I have never been brave enough to make pies. My MIL brings them. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments, I appreciate hearing from you.