Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Tuesday Crochet Musings


I started thinking about Christmas gift giving....

I've been happy with how my scarf is turning out (in the background), so I thought I'd make some as gifts.  

I went ahead and ordered some more of the Palette yarn to make them in.  I've really enjoyed using this yarn; it is 100% wool though, so it isn't machine washable.  But a scarf is small and easy enough to hand wash in the bathroom sink with a little Woolite.  The "heather-ed" colors are my favorite so far.


I also ordered some yarn to make the Holiday Cables Throw.  I'm trying Brava for the first time.  It's an acrylic yarn and I'm kind of wishing I'd spent the extra money for a wool-blend.  This pattern is "wool-eater" though and uses more than 3,000 yards of yarn.  

The verdict is still out on the Brava yarn.  I'm only on Row 4 in the pattern, so we'll see.  I did skim the reviews for the yarn on Ravelry and someone said their Brava yarn was made in Turkey.  The label on mine says it's made in China.  Not sure where the discrepancy lies.  I tend to steer away from things made in China anymore.  Who knows though, maybe a lot of yarn is made in China and I'm just not aware of it...

Are you making any Christmas gifts this year?  Have you started on them yet?


Hope your week is off to a great start!

Heather

16 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're off to a great start, Heather :-) I like the color of your Brava yarn; I hope you end up liking it.
    Ugh, I haven't even STARTED my Christmas crochet yet; don't remind me how far behind I am!
    Have a great day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking for a good yarn outlet. Where do you purchase yours from?
    Love the colors you have chosen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I purchased the yarn in this post from Knit Picks. They aren't a yarn outlet, but they are an on-line store only (as far as I know). I've heard that Webs is good, but I've never purchased from them myself, so can't personally say. I usually purchase from JoAnn's on-line when they have a yarn sale, but I had just missed their sale when I went to get the yarn for this blanket. Hope you have a nice evening and thank you for stopping by. Heather

      Delete
  3. Hi Heather! I love the yarn colors in your photo. I am busy with making gifts too. But I need to get even busier!!! It is creeping up on us!
    I have been doing more sewing lately, than crochet.
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your sewing room is beautiful. Thanks for your nice comment. Enjoy your gift making. Heather

      Delete
  4. I've started working on some of my Christmas hopefully you will have some time for Christmas preparation. Lovely that your house is getting all don. Such a long process for us here. Can't wait to see what u are making with this beautiful yarn. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a long process for us as well. We still have boxes in the basement that we need to go through and determine what to keep and what to donate. I don't feel pressured to get it done though...in time. :-) Take care, Heather

      Delete
  5. What a good start I love the colour of the yarn that you have chosen. I have done well this year and have a lot of my projects for Christmas done, my da.ughters wedding has made me super organised

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I really like to colors too. You're ahead of the game with your Christmas gift making, best wishes on your daughter's wedding. Heather

      Delete
  6. I could dive right in...beautiful yarn and colors...perfect for getting creative!
    Happy Knitting :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your yarn looks so beautiful. I am using Wool of the Andes for the first time for my blanket and I am NOT in love with it. It is scratchy and it is splitty. I think you might be better off with the acrylic blend.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meredith, I haven't tried Wool of the Andes yet, that is good to know. Hope you have a great day. Heather

      Delete
  8. All your yarn looks lovely to me I'm sure the acrylic yarn will be fine, I use acrylic all the time and i've never had a problem with it yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. I do too. For these "fisherman-type" afghans, I've always used a wood blend, but I'm sure it will be fine. Thanks again, Heather

      Delete
  9. Love the colors. I've never paid attention to where my yarn is made, that is an interesting thing to check. I'm not making as intense Christmas gifts this year, just a simple photo gift. I've made so many gifts over the years that this year I just need a break. Hubby understands and agrees. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments, I appreciate hearing from you.