Monday, October 13, 2014

Thrifting


I want to thank you all for your nice comments on the scarf I started.  I'm still working on it and will share the pattern (and more about the stitch pattern) once I have it complete.

This past Saturday, my sister and I got together for a fun "girls" day outing.

We started the day at Panera for coffee and a bagel and chatted about life.  Then we headed to Kohl's armed with our 20% off Friends and Family coupon.  We both got some great buys there and fully utilized our in-store coupon.

After a quick lunch, we thought it would be fun to go to a local thrift store and see if we could find any "treasures."  

We both found some fun things.

I got the Mickey Mouse sweatshirt for $3.99.  It's all laundered and ready for a cool fall day.


I found a large turkey platter (made in Portugal) for $5.99.  It will come in handy in another month and I may get a plate holder to display it while we wait for Turkey-Day to arrive.


I also found a gray turtleneck; brand new.  It still had the size sticker and retail tag on it.  

But, the most exciting thing I found was this glass bowl...


for .99 cents!  

The inside of it had dried glue in it, but I thought it would clean up nicely, and I was right!  It's a very heavy piece of glass and when I pulled it out of the dishwasher last night, I thought, "This looks a lot like Sterling Cut Glass."  So I pulled up their website and guess what?  I believe it is, check it out, same shape and everything, plus, it is beautifully etched.


Not a scratch on it.  

I think I'll either put some small glass Christmas ornaments in it, or maybe some pine cones when we decorate for Christmas.  

It was such a fun day.  It got to be fairly late in the afternoon and both our hubbies called wanting to know what was for dinner.  We knew it was time to get home.  

:-)

Hope your week is off to a great start!
Heather

17 comments:

  1. I am so glad you and your sister were able to have a fun girls day out! It sounded like so much fun! The bowl you found is absolutely beautiful. Isn't it amazing the things you can find thrifting? I love it! Have a wonderful week ahead, Heather. xo Dianna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dianna. Thrifting is a lot of fun as you never know what you'll find. Take care, Heather

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you two had a wonderful day, Heather :-) You found some great treasures. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some great finds. Makes me want to go to our thrift store and look around. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great finds, love the turkey platter and that glass bowl was a delight perfect for some baubles and battery operated lights as a table centrepiece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great finds Heather - I like the Micky Mouse sweatshirt, and I have to say that that bowl is gorgeous. I think my Mom has a platter like that - she hasn't used it in years though. Have a good day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Heather. As soon as I post here, I have to go back and see the scarf you are working on!
    Now, about this post. LOVE the sweatshirt! Great find! Love the vintage Mickey!!! And what a score on that glass bowl!!! Thrifting is fun, and I love the thrill of the hunt!!!!
    Now, off to find that scarf!
    Have a great day!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kris, it is a lot of fun as you say, "the thrill of the hunt." :-) Have a great day. Heather

      Delete
  7. What wonderful finds you made at the thrift shop. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are excellent finds. Thrifting is a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments, I appreciate hearing from you.