Monday, September 8, 2014

Fall Planting, Etc.


This past Saturday afternoon, we headed down to a nursery outlet not too far from our home.  They are only open in the spring time and in the fall.  I wasn't planning on buying anything, but $4.75 for 8" potted mums seemed like a good deal, so I got a couple.  I usually just put my mums in pots, but I decided to plant them this year as we are in desperate need of some color in the front border.  

I also bought a couple creeping phlox to plant by the boulders we have in the beds.  I've had mixed results with phlox in the past, we'll see how well it blooms next spring in the different locations.  

  
The last two days have been clear with cooler temps.  This must be ideal for hot air balloons as we've seen several the last couple of days.  This particular one flew right over our house.  I took these photos from our deck.



- - -
My sister-in-law and her boyfriend were here over the Labor Day weekend.  We had a really nice visit.  

It was gray and rainy while they were here, but we made the best of it looking through old photos.  There are some beautiful black and white photos of my husband's parents when they got married.  We also went to the Air Force Museum while they were here.  We've been several times just this year, but it is a nice place to take visitors and guests especially if they've served in the armed forces and more particularly the Air Force.

While we were looking through old photos, I came across an autograph I received as a child from Rory Calhoun.  Does anyone remember him?  I couldn't, but my SIL's boyfriend did remember some programs/movies he starred in.  I was just a little girl when I got his autograph and remember him sitting at a table in the front of the Flaming Pit wearing a big cowboy hat.


Look at the prices on the kids menu!  If that doesn't put a date stamp on it, I don't know what else would!  Only .30 cents for a Chocolate Sundae.  

:-)

- - -
We've all been recovering from colds and coughs.  Dear son started the chain, then me and then hubby.  The cough is lingering, but we are all feeling so much better.

I haven't crocheted anything worthy of sharing.  I made a couple of motifs and have been playing around with some stitch patterns I thought were pretty from Robyn Chachula's stitch encyclopedia.  I don't know why I can't find something I want to make.  I'm in a bit of a slump and I'm hoping it will pass soon.

I've tried to get around to your blogs and say "hi".  
Hope you are all well.

Happy Monday and best wishes for a blessed week,

Heather

6 comments:

  1. Pot Mums always spring a lovely splash of cooler and usually do well wherever you put them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I need some instruction for how to get my creeping plants to creep. I hope your phlox flourishes, Heather, then you can coach me, OK? So far I am good at growing creepy weeds :) All your photos are lovely, but it must have been really exciting to get those beautiful hot air balloon shots! Well done! And what fun to find the autograph. I do remember hearing of/seeing him in films. Blessings of good health to you and yours, and I hope you settle on a crochet project that inspires you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, hope you are all feeling better today, a house full of people feeling ill is no fun at all. Your flowers are going to be so beautiful.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like some fun time with family, and I love the shot of the balloons, those are great. I hope to crochet more but feel so behind in other things because of a family emergency that I haven't had time to start anything yet. Hopefully in a week or so. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear of the colds. We went through about a month of different illnesses hitting different people, ending with strep for one. Your fall plantings are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Heather. I somehow missed this post. I am longing for Mums and pumpkins! It is still too darn hot here.
    Hope you are all feeling better by now!
    xo kris

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments, I appreciate hearing from you.