Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Granola


With the start of school, I've been looking for snacks that dear son can have while he works on his worksheets and to curb his hunger until lunch time.  

Pretzels are my son's favorite snack.  They are inexpensive, but they really don't have any nutritious value.  On the other hand, granola with it's old fashioned oats, almonds and dried cranberries makes for a good snack with a lot of healthy ingredients a growing boy needs.

I like The Prudent Homemaker's recipe, which I've adapted for our taste.  I cut back on the salt as well as the oil and added a hint of cinnamon and almond (extract).  

We eat it dry like trail mix, but you can use it as cereal or as a topping for yogurt (or ice cream).

Below is my version:

Granola
(adapted from the Prudent Homemaker's recipe)

Preheat oven to 350°

3 Cups old-fashioned oats
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/4 Cup of vegetable oil
1/4 Cup of honey
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
1/3 Cup sliced almonds
1/3 Cup dried Cranberries

  • Mix together all dry ingredients (except the dried cranberries); add wet ingredients and stir well to coat.
  • Spread mixture on a jelly roll pan lined with parchment paper (or a silicone mat if you have one).
  • Bake 15 minutes; stirring mid-way through.
  • Remove granola from the oven and stir (if you prefer bigger chunks of granola, let it cool before you stir)
  • Stir in dried fruit
  • Once completely cool, store in an airtight container


Hope your week is going well.

Blessings,

Heather


11 comments:

  1. I have granola for breakfast most mornings, the shop bought variety. Having looked through your recipe I am going to give it a go, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that's simple enough. I made granola once and it turned out great. Must do so again soon. I have jars to be filled and can give them as gifts. :) Have a great rest of the week. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. I really need to make something like this. It looks very good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Heather :-) It looks delicious. My husband loves to take granola to work for a breaktime snack; I'll have to make some for him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have been eating some greek yogurt after our morning bike ride. Your granola would make it quite the treat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this granola recipe, Heather! I will give it a try. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM!!! I bet you could add agave instead of the honey which would work well for me and my son who is hypoglycemic and cannot have honey. Thank you for the recipe.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't made granola in years, but this recipe looks so yummy, versatile, and simple, I want to give it a try, Heather. Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments, I appreciate hearing from you.