Saturday, August 16, 2014

Caesar's Creek State Park


This morning, I packed a light lunch for the family and we headed out to Caesar's Creek State Park.

It was a beautiful morning, the sun was out and really, there wasn't any humidity in the air.

We started at the Nature Center and took one of the trails that branches off behind it.  The dappled light in the woods is always so pretty.  
I thought the refraction of light in this picture was neat.  
Can you see the spider's web?


We followed the trail down to the lake, passing a couple of toads on the forest floor.  
I spy a toad...


or, two.


Once we reached the lake, "Blackie" had fun playing fetch; 
so did we!


After a short time, we headed further up the trail.  

I came across this pretty yellow wildflower growing beside the path.  A pleasant surprise among the browns and greens of the trees and leaves.


On up the trail, and growing right across our path, was a beech wood branch.  

If I was younger and more "spry", I would have climbed up on it.  Hubby is much taller (and has more upper body strength than me), so I asked him to do the honors.  

He obliged.


My hubby is a good sport isn't he?

On the way back through the woods, we came across this old, old tree.  I thought the light looked pretty on it, kind of calling it out with a spot light of sunshine.


When we arrived back at the nature center, dear son and I went to take a look at a Red Tailed Hawk and a Turkey Vulture they had in captivity.  They warned us not to get too close to the vulture as they have a tendency to "spray" when they are anxious.  

We respected the vulture (and the advice).

:-)

We ate our lunch and headed home.  Poor "Blackie" was tuckered out.  Hubby and the little one gave her a well deserved bath and she's been sleeping ever since.

I've got a homemade pizza in the oven and I made some of my grandmother's oatmeal cookies.  

May your weekend be blessed,

Heather

"The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?  The LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?"
Psalm 27:1

7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful walk out with family making some beautiful memories. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind and thoughtful comments. Heather

      Delete
  2. Always a nice outing when you are surrounded by such beauty. I had to really look for the second frog. He's hidden well. Your hubby is a good sport. My 15 year old has always been my tree climber. :) Have a great Sunday. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you had a wonderful day with your family.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures and what a fun sounding time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful family day and great pictures heather!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great !
    Greetings from Poland :)
    Katarzyna


    www.sajuki.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments, I appreciate hearing from you.