Thursday, June 5, 2014

Mud and Other Stuff



We had a big rain storm come through yesterday.  We all took our turns taking the puppy out (who still isn't housebroken; how long does that take?).  

Our new addition, "Blackie", is an ornery little thing.  She goes through these spurts of energy and then sleeps for two or three hours.  She digs in the mud (and the little bit of landscaping that I have) not feeling one bit of guilt or remorse.

"Blackie" digging in the mulch
- - -
Below are my hydrangeas, which are very slow growing.  I did put some Miracle Grow on them last week hoping to give them a "boost".  I'll give them some more this week.  There were three, but only two greened up.  I replaced the dead one with a rose bush.


Does anyone have any advice for my Knockout Rose bushes?  They have some sort of pest.  I've cut them way back and sprayed some diluted Dawn detergent on them.  They look a little better, but I'd like to get them nice and full and healthy.


Hubby and I have spent some backbreaking hours clearing out the old hedgerow.  We still have one little section to do and take down that big dead tree.  My husband wants to buy a chainsaw and do it himself.  I keep envisioning a trip to the ER and would rather hire someone to do it.


- - -
Anyone in the market for a house, horse stable and 6 acres?  

Our neighbor across the street has his property on the market.  I think the stable is so pretty and I really enjoy seeing the horses.  For the most part though, he keeps them in the area on the back of the stable.

- - -
The forecast looks sunny for the next few days, so things should dry up fairly quickly and hopefully the hay/seed contractor can finish up the grading and spread the hay and seed.  

How long do you think it takes grass to grow?

Have a blessed day!
Heather


14 comments:

  1. Oh my! Look at all of that mud!!!!! You probably have aphids. I use the same thing to spary on mine. Too bad you don't have any chicken poo for your hydrangeas!!!!!!
    The house next door is lovely!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris, I'll keep trying the diluted Dawn and hopefully the pest problem will go away. A little chicken poo fertilizer for the hydrangeas would be nice (and much less expensive than MG!). Take care. H.

      Delete
  2. I would be panicking about all that mud. :) Have fun getting things all together and looking how you want. It's a lot of work but so worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blackie is an adorable little pup - sorry she's giving you so much trouble with the digging. My dogs are digging around my yard too - they are going after moles. So far Tex has caught one and Ladybug has also caught one - and by 'caught', I mean 'killed'. I don't like that at all - poor little things. Well, anyways - I hope it doesn't take long for Blackie to be house trained. Have a good day Heather. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blackie is adorable! and it seems you are settling in to your new home! Congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah puppies are so much fun, until they pee everywhere and dig, even my sweet Max did those things, but they do grow up quickly and soon the puppy stage will be over, and so will that sweet puppy smell.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved seeing the mud pictures, Heather! You live in such a pretty area. Blackie is a cutie...Good luck with the cutting down of the dead tree. I will be interested in seeing the area once it is gone. Have a wonderful evening!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, puppies :-) Our Smores still isn't 100% house trained; I keep asking myself the same question. Good luck with your roses and landscaping. Take care :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your puppy is so cute, I think you can forgive them anything at this stage. Your garden is coming on great, all you can do is spray your roses, I spray mine every couple of weeks with a systematic pest control spray especially for roses it's good against black spot and white spot too, I do love roses but they take quite a bit of looking after. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhhhh your puppies is looking so cute,all the mud scared me....I understand seing shoes like that.Epson Salt with water is also a good source of vitamins for flower and for the ground....in the bag you will finf the recipe or directions on how to.Egg shells too....grind them and use them in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, I linked here from the crochet page and I have a question about the burly tweed scarf. I am a novice crocheter. I think the scarf is going well, but I’m wondering how with the alternating sc, dc in a row how does the height stay consistent? Bohemianimages@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by. The alternating sc and dc create texture as your work the scarf. The 3 rows of sc break up the texture creating a repeat pattern that is followed as you crochet the scarf. Hope that helps. Thank you again for stopping by and best wishes on your project.

      Delete
  11. That house next door is very pretty looking. I hope your mud dries up soon and your puppy stops digging so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. welcome to life with a puppy! We have 2 just over the age of one and we still can't get them to stop digging if the ground is soft enough and they are left unsupervised (in the fenced in backyard) for too long. Even what we had to regrass from the damage they did over the winter they manage to tear up with running and "skidding" to a stop!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments, I appreciate hearing from you.