Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Deer, Cookies, and Crochet Update


Thought I'd pop in and say "hi".  It's a rainy, overcast day here in Ohio.

I'm slowly making progress on my shawl.  I like the pattern and I think it is going to be really pretty when it's complete.  

It's not one of those mindless patterns though, you really need to watch where you are in the repeats.  I'll block it and get the pineapples to really stand out once it's complete.

I planned for the rain today.  Dear son and I kept busy with a cute novel we are reading and a little baking and cooking.


We made Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies (mine are blackberry today) and the little one helped me make homemade meatballs for dinner.

These cookies are one of my favorites.  They make a nice "tea cookie" with the shortbread crust and the sweet jam center.  If you aren't a huge almond fan, you could leave off the glaze, but that is what makes these a favorite in my book.  

Earlier today, we spotted a deer in the vacant lot behind us.  




I whistled to get the deers attention, but it just scared her away.  This is the first deer I've seen since we've lived here, but we've had deer tracks in our yard on many different occasions.
- - -

My front porch shade plants are enjoying this rainy damp day.



I think both the leafy plants are in the "coleus" family.  I pinch off the flowers to keep them full.  The impatiens will continue to fill out as the summer progresses.  I can't wait for all the heavy equipment to be done in our yard so I can start thinking about landscaping.  I think they are about done.

Hope your Tuesday is going great.

Library and karate later this afternoon and spaghetti and meatballs in the crockpot for dinner.

Take care!
Heather


14 comments:

  1. Oh my, Heather...those cookies look so delicious! Your shawl is progressing and I love the color in that design. Seeing the pineapples reminds me of the pineapple doilies my grandma used to crochet. I still have many of them...and I use them. ;) Have a wonderful evening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your days sound wonderfully full and blessed :-) The shawl is looking beautiful; I love the color. Thanks for sharing the link for the cookie recipe; they look delicious. Take care :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The makings of a good day, Heather :) Yea for the progress on the shawl and your gardening [I need to do some planting and weeding....not necessarily in that order.] My only deer sighting here was on July 4th several years ago when a doe raced up our driveway and into the woods behind our house! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your shawl is coming along nicely Heather - I can see those pretty pineapples. I like your yarn bowl - very nice. I'm always impressed by all the baking and everything else you do. Most days I feel like I don't get anything done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very ,very nice pictures....love to see the deer....I also like your yarn bowl.....lovely I have 1 in my list to buy but is made out of wood.Love yours too.Your shawl will be gorgeous and the color is also lovely....the pineaplle pattern is beautiful too.Happy week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you ladies for your kind comments. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a fun, relaxing day! :) I love your yarn bowl in the last photo. After I finish my baby shower gifts, I'd like to start that shawl, its coming along beautifully. Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heather, I have used Wool of the Andes worsted from Knit Picks, and I thought it was kind of stiff, but then again, it's 100% wool which I've rarely used. Other than that, it was a good yarn. I haven't used the sport or pallet. The only other one I've used is the Chroma worsted, and it's fantastic...nothing bad to say about it. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your shawl is lovely! sometime I need to try a crochet shawl instead of knitting. And the thumbprints sound delicious! Especially with almond glaze!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your shawl is looking wonderful, love the color. We have deer all the time in our yard, Florida deer are much smaller than the ones you have.
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a great picture of the deer, glad you have finally seen it. Your shawl is just lovely, I can't wait to see it done, and the color is so pretty. I hope you get to do all your landscaping soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful shawl Heather. I love that you have finally seen the deer... Here where we finally moved 2 weeks ago we have lots of deers( although we don't have much property- just 1/3 of an acre) . I think your dinner sounds yummy and I wish I could go there and have some tea with your delicious cookies.. I'm glad you are enjoying your house :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The shawl looks great and it is a lovely color. I'm only doing simple projects. But am doing a great job of using up my stash. Haven't bought yarn in quite a while. But will be in the states for the month of July so you know I will be hitting some yarn stores there. Thumbprint cookies have always been a favorite though I've yet to try a vegan version since I gave up dairy a year ago. Hope you are able to get started on the landscaping soon. Have a great day. Tammy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments, I appreciate hearing from you.