Saturday, January 25, 2014

"The Long Winter"


"The cold and the dark had come again.  The nails in the roof were white with frost, the windowpanes were gray.  Scraping a peephole only showed the blank, whirling whiteness against the other side of the glass.  The stout house quivered and shook; the wind roared and howled.  Ma kept the rag rugs tightly against the bottom of the doors, and the cold came crawling in."
The Long Winter
Laura Ingalls Wilder

I was joking with my mom, via e-mail, the other day that I felt like Laura Ingalls Wilder in The Long Winter.

We've had such a cold and bitter winter so far.  I read somewhere that it is colder here in Ohio than it is in Alaska!

The furnace in the apartment can't keep up with the cold outside.  

When I woke up it was 58 degrees in the apartment.  Through the day it hovers around 62 - 63.  

We stay dressed in layers and wear our bathrobes over our clothes.  

Last night I just could not get warm so I put on my gloves and went to bed.

I have towels in all the windows to keep down the draft that blows through the windows.

But, with all this being said, I'm thankful that I don't have to twist hay to burn to keep warm.  

"All that day and all the next day, Laura helped Pa twist hay while Ma kept the fire going...Their hands were red and swollen, the skin was cold, and covered with cuts made by the sharp slough hay."
The Long Winter; Laura Ingalls Wilder

We have food in the pantry so we aren't hungry.

"How much more wheat is there?  I think enough for today's grinding,....There's no more in town....Then Laura braced herself, she steadied herself and she said, Ma.  Will we starve?"
The Long Winter; Laura Ingalls Wilder

We are having one blustering and boisterous winter.  But as Ma tells Laura...

"Don't complain, Laura!"....."Never complain of what you have.  Always remember you are fortunate to have it."
The Long Winter; Laura Ingalls Wilder

So I am.

I hope you are staying safe and warm today.

"It can't beat us!"  Pa said.  "Can't it Pa?"  Laura asked stupidly.  "No," said Pa.  "It's got to quit sometime and we don't.  It can't lick us.  We won't give up."  
"Then Laura felt a warmth inside her.  It was very small but it was strong.  It was steady, like a tiny light in the dark, and it burned very low but no winds could make it flicker because it would not give up."
The Long Winter; Laura Ingalls Wilder

Wishing you a blessed Saturday,

Heather

Excerpts taken from Laura Ingalls Wilder's book The Long Winter.

8 comments:

  1. It has been a rough winter for you; I think about you when I gripe about how cold I am and realize it's not really that cold. 30's and 40's is nothing compared to what you're experiencing. Although I understand about the furnace; ours keeps our house no warmer than 65-68 most days. Keep your good spirits and stay warm :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hearing from so many like you Heather, who have had such a bitter cold winter. I am sure you are counting the days to Spring! And of course, to the day you will be moving into your new home.
    I was a big fan of the Laura Ingalls books! I read them and loved them so much!!!
    Stay warm!!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it is so cold there in Ohio, my son goes to Ohio State and he is freezing! Too much for a Florida boy to take.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're pretty much frozen here too, and I have to say that I'm pretty sick of it. Thank goodness we have a wood stove. I hope you guys get warmed up soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh bless your heart.....that's cold inside your home! Don't blame you for wearing your gloves to bed. We finally got snow here but it only lasted for one day and I was miserable....way to cold for a southern girl!
    Keep warm!!
    Shari

    ReplyDelete
  6. It has been weird to see all the snowy, cold weather throughout the states, when we are having our most mellow winter ever. We have barely any snow, and the temps have been very mild, in the 30's. That is so odd for us, usually we have tons of snow and teens to below zero weather. We are getting spoiled this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's been the sames in WNY! We have 5 windows on 3 walls of our Master Bedroom and with the wind blowing over the weekend, and this morning it's been FREEZING!! Stay warm! I so didn't want to get out of my jammies to go to work today LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bless you, in your chilly home! I'm not one to complain but here in Chicago (a.k.a. Chi-beria, or as I call it Chi-brr-space!!), with -11 this morning (Tuesday) and -30 with the wind chills, I'm prone to beg for winter to be done--and it's only January!! But, my house is definitely warmer than yours, too, and I have no reason to complain. Thanks for posting this gentle reminder that God is taking care of us through this winter. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments, I appreciate hearing from you.