Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Couponing


Food prices are soaring along with everything else.  Have you noticed it?  We certainly have!  
It is expensive to feed a family.

A couple of months ago, I started watching Extreme Couponing on Netflix.  

After watching a few of these shows, I got really excited about saving money with coupons.  

Now, I haven't gotten into it like the people on the program.  And, the program shows a lot of coupon doubling.  

The grocery stores in my area don't double coupons anymore.  With that in mind, I think the days of getting things for "free" with coupons are about gone.  

But, all those things being said, I could see where I could help my family save some money.

A fraction of a price is better than a whole.


So, I thought I'd give more thought to my coupons...

I've been pairing sale prices with coupons to get great prices on things we need (or as in the candles), just couldn't pass up the savings!


I'll give you an example with these candles I bought after Christmas.

The candles were marked down to .79 cents...


I had a coupon for $1 off the purchase of 2...

.79 + .79 = $1.58
$1.58 - $1.00 (coupon) = .58 cents (for 2)
or
.29 cents each!

Wow, I was excited!

:-)

Last week, ALL laundry detergent was on sale for $2.49 at my Kroger.  I had an e-coupon for $1.50 off one.  
So I got laundry detergent for .99 cents!

January is the first month I've really put my mind to the "science" behind couponing.  

It does take a little planning time to look through the weekly ad, match up the sales with the coupons, and make a list.  

But, this month alone, coupons enabled our family to save $100 dollars on our grocery budget.  

That was a real savings we could put in the savings account.  

I thought I'd share a few sites with you where you can print coupons and a couple of blogs I follow that show deals at different stores.  

and

Here are a couple of coupon sites I like:

and

I've kind of made a game out of it to see how much I can save each week.  

It's been fun.

The snow is flying here in Ohio and all the schools in my area are closed.  

We are plugging away though; snow doesn't stop a homeschooler!

Stay warm and carry on,

Heather

"A man's heart plans his way, But the LORD directs his steps."
Proverbs 16:9
(NKJV)







11 comments:

  1. I agree; couponing helps a lot with the budget. Our stores don't double coupons either. But we save a lot by adding coupons to sale prices. My favorite is when something is buy one get one free; add a coupon or two and it's a real deal!
    Where are you in Ohio? My family lives in Fostoria and Risingsun.
    Have fun with couponing and stay warm :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your nice comment. We are temporarily in Springboro until the house gets built. Looks like Fostoria is North of us. We are South of Dayton off 75. Take care, Heather

      Delete
  2. Good for you, and you are right every penny you can save is terrific.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great deal on the candles Heather. I watch that show too and it inspires me to look for coupons, but I'm no where near as committed as they are. I always end up with just a few. Thanks for the links to the couponing sites. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the nice comment Debi. :-)

      Delete
  4. Good for you Heather! I've been couponing for some time now....I just can't make myself pay for anything full price anymore!
    xx Shari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, it's been fun to hunt for grocery bargains. If you have any good advice, I'd love to hear it. Take care, Heather

      Delete
  5. That is great. Glad that it's working for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments, I appreciate hearing from you.