Monday, January 6, 2014

Chicken Soup, Pumpkin Bread and Frigid Temperatures


I made some homemade chicken soup this morning.  We had some for lunch with oyster crackers.  

There is plenty leftover, so we'll have it for dinner too with some pumpkin bread I made while dear son was working on his math worksheets.


Yup, we are back to school today after the long Christmas break.  

It's been a little hard to get back into our routine, but I'm sure we'll settle back in after a couple of days.

All the schools in my area are closed and many local businesses are closed as well (hubby's included).  

Weather.com is registering the temperature, in my zip code, to be -5 (F) with a wind chill of -20 (F).  That is cold....very cold.  You can hear the wind howling around the outside of the apartment and cold air is sneaking it's way around the closed blinds.  

Today is one of those days I really miss my fireplace!

:-)

My Christmas cactus bloomed this year.


I don't think it bloomed last year, so I was excited when the buds started to emerge on the tips of the cacti "leaves".  

The pretty blooms remind me of:

HOPE

I've seen a lot of people picking words for the year.  If I had to pick one, it would be HOPE.  I'm filled with hope for 2014 and looking forward to the days ahead.

Stay warm and carry on!

Heather


"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope."

Jeremiah 29:11
(NKJV)



15 comments:

  1. Soup and pumpkin bread sounds perfect on cold days. Nothing better than baking and cooking on days like that. Stay warm!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos....It has been a struggle to stay warm here in Texas, too! Stay warm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hearing about all of the areas hit with that awful cold weather! Your soup looks delicious. So does the bread! Stay in and stay warm!!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmm - the soup looks delicious. Perfect eating for this cold weather. It's freezing cold here too (6 degrees), but thankfully it's supposed to warm up tomorrow to 34 degrees. Stay warm. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debi. It is supposed to warm up here tomorrow as well to the 30's. Way better than those negative or single digit numbers. :-)

      Delete
  5. Yum, sounds like the perfect cold weather meal. Stay warm :-) Love the Christmas cactus; of course, I love all plants I actually have a chance of keeping alive.
    Blessings,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate, we finished up the soup for lunch today. Soup certainly hits the spot in the winter months. Take care, Heather

      Delete
  6. my Jeep read -18 on my way to work this morning and weather.com showed our windchill at -34!! crazy cold indeed! I hope you are staying inside, and staying warm!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sure is cold! We are even chilly here in Florida, yikes I do not want a wind chill like you have. My son in Ohio texted me yesterday saying it was -9, the actual temp not the wind chill. He must be freezing.
    Hugs to you and stay warm,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heather, you take beautiful pictures! It sure was a cold day today; yesterday here in Chicago it was -18 *before* the wind chill! Today it made it up to 4 or 5, so a nice warming trend, lol. I, too made soup for the family--it's so warming and satisfying on days like today. Your chicken soup looks very similar to mine, too; really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy looking bread, and flower. Your photos are always so pretty. That is pretty chilly, hope you are all staying warm.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments, I appreciate hearing from you.