Monday, December 2, 2013

Granola and Other Odds and Ends

Homemade Oatmeal
After a long weekend, we are back to the "grind".  

My sister hosted a very nice Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday.  It was the first time, since I've been married, that I didn't cook the turkey.  She did a fresh turkey with the traditional sides, I brought over pumpkin bread, sweet potato casserole and pumpkin pie.  It was a nice change of pace and her table was beautiful.

Since hubby was off work both Thursday and Friday, we did a few family things to get into the Christmas mood.  

We put together a fun gingerbread house.  Dear son really enjoys putting these together.  Actually, I don't know which he likes better, assembling the house or eating the candy as he puts it together.  Either way, I made hot cocoa and we all sat at the table working on it.  Dear son and hubby did most of the work, I crocheted a little as they were determining their candy design.  


We stopped by the house and checked out the progress on the drywall...





and the brick...




They seem to be making good progress.  
Our project manager said it would take about two weeks for both.  

We are back to school today and looking forward to another break just a few short weeks away.


Back to the granola...

I found the granola recipe HERE if anyone is interested in making it themselves.  I've made in numerous times and have played around with the recipe.  Here are my modifications:

Homemade Granola Modifications
1/4 cup oil (instead of 1/3 cup)
1/3 cup honey (instead of 1/4 cup)
1/8 t salt (instead of 1/4 t)
1/4 t cinnamon (addition)
1 t pure vanilla extract (instead of 1 Tablespoon)
1 t almond extract (addition)

We eat it as trail mix, but of course you could eat it on yogurt or as a cereal with milk.  

It's yummy.

:-)

Have a great week.  I'll post a picture of my crochet project once I get it finished; hopefully soon!

Toodles,
Heather



14 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend with your family. The gingerbread house is just too cute! Awesome job boys!!! And the big house is looking wonderful! Not much longer in the grand scheme of things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have never made a gingerbread house! But yours encourages me to try someday, The light in your new house looks wonderful! The progress in drywalling and bricklaying is exciting! [The granola looks yummy :)]
    Wishing you a happy week,
    Gracie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gracie. The gingerbread house was one of those "Wilson" kits that go on sale this time of year. Just something fun to do to get in the spirit of the season. :-)

      Delete
  3. Exciting progress on the house!!! I know my favorite part of our remodeling is when I can really SEE what work has been done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly Louise, that is so true. :-)

      Delete
  4. Your house is just so beautiful. You are truly blessed. Sounds like you had a great Thanksgiving. I think doing something different for the holidays is fun sometimes. That granola sounds very yummy. Thanks for sharing the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JoAnn, you are right, a change of pace was nice. :-)

      Delete
  5. Drywall really makes a difference! Glad you enjoyed a lower stress Thanksgiving. I was happy not to host this year, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is going to be some awesome house! The granola looks yummy too. I used to make it homemade for the kids when they were little.

    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉
    *M*E*R*R*Y* *C*H*R*I*S*T*M*A*S*!*
    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉

    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Heather, found you over at CGOA....I've joined now too. learning my way around. Granola is so good, especially with yogurt :) Brown Cow Yogurt is my personal favorite.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments, I appreciate hearing from you.