Saturday, October 12, 2013

Grandma's Old Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies

Grandma's Old Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies

We are headed to a fall festival this evening and I signed up to bring some cookies.  

There is nothing better than an old fashioned recipe with lots of beautiful memories attached.  That is the case with my Grandmother's old fashioned oatmeal cookies.

They are great!  

You can double the recipe if you like.  When doubling the recipe, I add an extra 1/4 cup of flour for a total of 2 1/4 cups.

My recipe is packed away, but I had my mom bring a copy when she was here several weeks ago.  I've been making them since; we all love them.  Hubby eats them with a big glass of milk; I like mine with a cup of tea.



Grandma's Old Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1 C Flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 C brown sugar
1/2 C white granulated sugar
1/2 C shortening
1 egg
1 Tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 C oatmeal (old fashioned)


  • Combine flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a small bowl; set aside
  • Cream sugars and shortening until well incorporated and fluffy
  • Add egg, water and vanilla; mix
  • Gradually beat in flour mixture until combined
  • Fold in oats



  • Shape into small balls (I use a scoop) and place on cookie sheet
  • Press down with base of glass dipped in granulated sugar
  • Sprinkle tops of cookie with additional sugar if desired



  • Bake for 10 - 15 minutes; I cook mine for 10 min. and 30 sec.  they are cooked through, but will be chewy.
  • Leave on baking sheet for 1 - 2 minutes
  • Remove to cooling rack


Enjoy!

Heather


12 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing a yummy looking recipe, Heather:)
    Gracie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those look so good! I wish I had a few right now!!!!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello heather,
    your grandmas old fashioned cookies looking delicious. thanks for sharing the recipe.
    have a nice week,
    regina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an easy recipe, and the cookies look very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Visiting from Stephanie at Roses of Inspiration. I love Oatmeal Cookies, one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. Have a super day. Heather

      Delete
  6. These cookies sound yummy. I enjoyed reading some of your posts via the link up party. Am following and will visit again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy in my tummy! Your cookies look delicious, my friend :) It's been ages since I have had oatmeal cookies....I think it's time I change that. Thanks for sharing at Roses of Inspiration. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments, I appreciate hearing from you.