Saturday, August 3, 2013

Grant's Park

Old Barn - Grant's Park

After dinner last night, we decided to head out and explore a park one of my husband's co-workers recommended.  

It is a beautiful nature preserve and I'm so glad we were told about it.


Grant's Park

Most of the park has been left naturalized...

Naturalized Area

with paths cut into the meadows for walking.

Some of the paths led down to a creek

Pathway to the Creek

I told my son, it's a "babbling brook" and he said, "Mommy, the creek isn't talking".  It might not have been talking, but the sound was soothing and beautiful.

We saw a huge blue heron, but the zoom on my camera wasn't strong enough to get a good picture of it.  

With the water, trees, and berries...

Ripening Blackberries
Ripening Grapes

it's easy to see why the birds find it this place so attractive.

We just skirted the edge of the park as it was threatening rain.  We will go back again and explore deeper into the preserve and see what other natural treasures there are to discover.

At the entrance to the park, they have this weathered statue.  

Grant's Park Statue

It reminds me of when I was growing up.  This is what you did in the summer; played outside.  Seems like kids spend too much time indoors these days with TV and video games.

Now I'm just sounding old.  lol.

Take care!
Heather

12 comments:

  1. The park looks like a nice place to explore. I agree with you about the kids today - they live in their bedrooms playing video games. It's a shame really - they don't know what they're missing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grant's Park looks like a lovely place to visit and explore. That creek looks like a fun place to go and wade on a hot summer's day.

    You are so correct - today's child spends way too much time inside - mine inclusive :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son too. We used to live outside during the summer when I was growing up.

      Delete
  3. I adore old barns! I wish summer lasted a lot longer. I so enjoy being out of doors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought this was a pretty one and it seems well cared for. Thank you for stopping by and saying hi.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a lovely day. Is this the Grants Park in Chicago? When I was a teenager, we'd go to Grants Park there for the free symphony concerts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have included a link. It's up in the Dayton Ohio area. Thanks Sharon.

      Delete
  5. Looks like a beautiful area. So glad you had a chance to visit there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The comment about the babbling brook gave me the giggles :) Children are so precious!

    Grant's Park looks like such a lovely place to visit and what a blessing for you and your family to have been able to spend some time there. Thanks, dear friend, for sharing with Roses of Inspiration. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun way to spend time together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a wonderful day out!! I agree, our parents had to call us to get us to come home, because we were always outside playing

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments, I appreciate hearing from you.